Kismet, Aircrack-ng, and Karmetasploit
Even cautious users can't be certain of security. Most pay-to-access wireless networks do not include encryption because the provider would have to share the password with everyone in advance. That means an attacker could easily get a copy of it and decrypt traffic anyway. Even if a provider has a properly secured SSL-encrypted payment gateway, there's nothing to prevent anyone from watching your traffic or sniffing passwords, for example. Encryption of all your network traffic will provide such protection, as I covered in my "Secret Tunnels" article . If you don't have a server to run your VPN traffic through, you might want to try the IPREDator VPN service . IPREDator provides a PPTP-encrypted  VPN connection for EUR 5 a month, tunneling all your traffic to Sweden, where strict privacy laws should prevent access to it.
- Kismet: http://www.kismetwireless.net
- Aircrack-ng: http://www.aircrack-ng.org/
- "Metasploit" by Kurt Seifried, Linux Pro Magazine, November 2008, pg. 62. http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/Issues/2008/96/METASPLOIT
- KARMA + Metasploit 3 == Karmetasploit: http://trac.metasploit.com/wiki/Karmetasploit
- Upside-Down-Ternet: http://www.ex-parrot.com/pete/upside-down-ternet.html
- "Secret Tunnels" by Kurt Seifried, Linux Pro Magazine, July 2009, pg. 64. http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/Issues/2009/104/SECRET-TUNNELS
- IPREDator: https://www.ipredator.se/
- "Close and Secret" by James Stanger, Linux Pro Magazine, December 2008, pg. 22. http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/Issues/2008/97/CLOSE-AND-SECRET
- Wireless LAN channel list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels
- Wireless Networking in the Developing World: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:2.4_GHz_Wi-Fi_channels_%28802.11b,g_WLAN%29.png
- Creative Commons Attribution and ShareAlike License: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Reusing_content_outside_Wikimedia
Buy this article as PDF
Customers can take a free test drive of SLES for HPC on the Azure Cloud
San Francisco-based chip company announces their first fully open source chip platform.
The whole distro gets rebuilt on glibc 2.3
Ubuntu Vendor tries to solve app packaging and distribution problem across distributions.
Founder of ownCloud launches the Nextcloud project.
Will The Machine change the way future programmers think about memory?
The new Torus distributed storage system is available under an open source license on GitHub
Juries decides Google’s use of Java APIs Was Fair Use
But if you are not using the latest Linux kernel, your system is insecure.
Home routers will give room for custom firmware but still comply with FCC rules