Exploring the Raspberry Pi through real-world projects
Raspberry Pi is obviously not a desktop system. If using the terminal seems too strange and cryptic to you, you should start with the desktop and work your way to the command line gradually.
From its very conception, the RasPi was conceived as an energy-efficient PC for multimedia applications, and it is clearly intended for use as an embedded system. The hardware is ideally suited for use as a server or process computer, or for controlling tasks in hobby projects that are not too power hungry. The configuration makes it possible to connect necessary peripherals, and the header practically begs you to put together additional features to suit your own needs. A specialized Linux distributions will help make the first steps easier for novices.
The developers have achieved their original goal of making computer technology tangible for interested – and especially young – people. The winter and school year are in their most difficult phases; for the next project in your basement, Raspberry Pi receives our warmest recommendations.
- Raspberry Pi: http://www.raspberrypi.org
- Hardware Buying Guide: http://elinux.org/RPi_Hardware_Basic_Setup#Typical_Hardware_You_Will_Need
- More help choosing hardware: http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals
- Farnell element14 (Europe)/Newark element14 (North America): http://uk.farnell.com http://www.newark.com
- RS Components (UK)/Allied Electronics (North America): http://uk.rs-online.com http://www.alliedelec.com
- For answers to questions, turn to: http://elinux.org/RaspberryPiBoard
- Raspbian "Wheezy": http://www.raspbian.org
- Omxplayer audio/video player: https://github.com/huceke/omxplayer
- Hostapd: http://hostap.epitest.fi/hostapd
- Quick2Wire Python API: https://github.com/quick2wire/quick2wire-python-api
- GPIO Admin: https://github.com/quick2wire/quick2wire-gpio-admin
Buy this article as PDF
A new study says it is possible to unmask 81% of TOR users.
Redmond joins the revolution by turning the .NET Core Runtime into a GitHub project.
Users only had 7 hours to update before the intrusions started.
It's official: The new web arrives
Kernel king admits his tone has alienated volunteers, but says the demands of the process require directness.
New flaw in an old encryption scheme leaves the experts scrambling to disable SSL 3
Lennart Poettering wants to change the way Linux developers talk to each other.
Enterprise giant frees itself from ink and home PCs (and visa versa).
Mozilla’s product think tank sinks silently into history.
TODO group will focus on open source tools in large-scale environments.