Exploring the Raspberry Pi through real-world projects
Raspberry Pi is obviously not a desktop system. If using the terminal seems too strange and cryptic to you, you should start with the desktop and work your way to the command line gradually.
From its very conception, the RasPi was conceived as an energy-efficient PC for multimedia applications, and it is clearly intended for use as an embedded system. The hardware is ideally suited for use as a server or process computer, or for controlling tasks in hobby projects that are not too power hungry. The configuration makes it possible to connect necessary peripherals, and the header practically begs you to put together additional features to suit your own needs. A specialized Linux distributions will help make the first steps easier for novices.
The developers have achieved their original goal of making computer technology tangible for interested – and especially young – people. The winter and school year are in their most difficult phases; for the next project in your basement, Raspberry Pi receives our warmest recommendations.
- Raspberry Pi: http://www.raspberrypi.org
- Hardware Buying Guide: http://elinux.org/RPi_Hardware_Basic_Setup#Typical_Hardware_You_Will_Need
- More help choosing hardware: http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals
- Farnell element14 (Europe)/Newark element14 (North America): http://uk.farnell.com http://www.newark.com
- RS Components (UK)/Allied Electronics (North America): http://uk.rs-online.com http://www.alliedelec.com
- For answers to questions, turn to: http://elinux.org/RaspberryPiBoard
- Raspbian "Wheezy": http://www.raspbian.org
- Omxplayer audio/video player: https://github.com/huceke/omxplayer
- Hostapd: http://hostap.epitest.fi/hostapd
- Quick2Wire Python API: https://github.com/quick2wire/quick2wire-python-api
- GPIO Admin: https://github.com/quick2wire/quick2wire-gpio-admin
Read full article as PDF:
The Raspberry Pi Foundation has announced an even smaller version of the tiny computer that will fit into a DIMM slot.
A new class of problems lets a malicious app pre-configure an invisible privilege update.
New Hack language adds static typing and other conveniences.
New crypto policy system will offer easier configuration and more uniform security.
Ubuntu founder denounces insecurity in proprietary, close-source software blobs.
Vulnerability affects many Linux web servers
The Bavarian capital shuns Microsoft, Google, and other alternatives to implement an open source groupware solution.
Phone vendor partnerships bring Mark Shuttleworth's dream of Ubuntu on a phone a step closer to reality.
Donors will get to vote on new features for the free video editor.
Debian project puts init out to pasture and says no to Ubuntu's Upstart.