Using Linux on Windows with Cygwin
startx connects the X server to a window manager running locally in Cygwin. For example,
/usr/bin/wmaker adds Windowmaker window decorations to the program window. Parameters for the X server itself follow the
startx interprets text before the delimiter as the program to be launched in the Cygwin environment, with any necessary options trailing:
$ startx /usr/bin/wmaker -- -nodecoration
The preceding command initiates a Windowmaker environment on the client side, which occupies the entire desktop above the taskbar. The command
$ startx /usr/bin/wmaker -- -mwextwm
is quite different. It hides the Linux desktop background, keeping the Windows desktop visible. For more information, check out the X.org man page for
Cygwin ports the X Window System, OpenSSH, and many other Unix and Linux programs to Windows, allowing Windows users to access Linux computers remotely. Cygwin performance is only satisfactory over a fast local network connection with low latency – a limitation currently only lifted by the no-cost NX Client  for remote X on Windows.
- Cygwin: http://www.cygwin.com
- Wine: http://www.winehq.org/
- Cygwin installer (32 bit): http://cygwin.com/setup-x86.exe
- Cygwin installer (64 bit): http://cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe
- Cygwin ports: http://cygwinports.org
- Cygwin ports mirrors: https://sourceware.org/mirrors.html
- Ported applications: ftp://sourceware.org/pub/cygwinports/
- Man page for Startxwin: http://x.cygwin.com/docs/man1/startxwin.1.html
- Man page for the Cygwin X server: http://x.cygwin.com/docs/man1/XWin.1.html
- Man page for Startx: http://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.5/doc/man/man1/startx.1.html
- NoMachine client: https://www.nomachine.com/download
Buy this article as PDF
Innovative system adds a hard drive and Ubuntu Core to the RPi for an IoT hub.
Linux is two weeks younger than we thought!
The Apache Software Foundation considers retiring OpenOffice
Adobe won’t kill the plugin in 2017
Linux Foundation's big event celebrates the 25th anniversary of Linux
Linux has evolved from “won’t be a professional” project to one of the most professional software projects in the history of computers.
Competitors get in the game with RHEL without Red Hat
Security researchers have already notified Microsoft; some fixes are available
The company is collaborating with Google and Intel to use Kubernetes as an engine for Fuel