Google Mobile Phone with OLED Display and Android 2.1
Google has presented its Android mobile phone to the public. What's special about the Nexus One is the 3.5" touchscreen with an OLED display resolving at 800 x 480 pixels and the newest Android 2.1 (Eclair).
The Nexus One has some advantages over the iPhone. The device is some millimeters flatter and its integrated wireless adapter supports the faster 802.11n standard. Even the display with its 800 x 480 pixels provides a markedly better resolution than the iPhone's 480 x 320 pixels, although Android fans will have to forego multitouch support for the moment.
The device marketed and sold by Google is produced by mobile phone maker HTC, which already has a few Android devices in its repertoire, among them the first Google phone.
The Nexus One will be distributed at first in the U.S. (T-Mobile and Verizon) and England (Vodafone). With a two-year contract, the device should cost under $200 in the U.S., without a service plan, about $530. The Nexus One should become available in Europa in the spring of 2010.
- Qualcomm processor QSD 8250 with 1 GHz
- 5-megapixel camera with autofocus, 2X digital zoom, LED flash and ability to capture video at 720 x 480 pixels (20 frames per second)
- UMTS band, HSDPA, HSUPA, GSM/EDGE (in frequency bands 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
- Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n and Bluetooth 2.1
- Storage on 512-MByte Flash, 512-MByte RAM and 4-GByte Micro SD card (expandable to 32 GBytes)
- Audio decoders include AAC LC/LTP, MP3, MIDI SMF and Ogg Vorbis
- Video codecs H.263 and MPEG-4 SP
- Graphic formats JPEG, GIF, PNG and BMP
- AGPS receiver, digital compass and sensors for light, proximity and acceleration
- Battery is 1400 mAH and replaceable
- Phone measures 4.7 x 2.4 x 0.5 inches and weighs 4.6 ounces
The bug was introduced back in 2009 and has been lurking around all this time.
The new release deprecates the sshd_config UsePrivilegeSeparation option.
Lives on as a community project
Five new systems join Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition that come with Ubuntu pre-installed.
The Skype Linux client now has almost the same capabilities that it enjoys on other platforms.
At CeBIT 2017, OpenStack Day will offer a wide range of lectures and discussions.
A major setback for the Linux desktop.
Improved support for GPU in virtualization.
News site for the openSUSE community falls victim to a Wordpress exploit.
The source code is available online.