Qimo For Kids 2.0 Released
Kid-friendly Linux distro gets a new character, features.
Qimo For Kids, the Linux distro aimed at educating children, today received a minor upgrade in the form of Qimo 2.0.
Qimo 2.0 features support for multiple accounts and replaces the eToys application on the launcher with Laby, a educational game that teaches children the basics of programming. A new character is introduced to the Qimo environment. Illa (pronounced 'ee-la') is a polar bear.
Qimo is based on Xubuntu Linux. If you're already using Ubuntu 10.04, Qimo can be run within your existing OS by using Apt-get or Synaptic to add the qimo-session package from the Universe repository. Qimo 2.0 can be dowloaded via BitTorrent and mirrored at USF, NiuX, and the University Roma.
Try DoudouLinux!We have launched a new kid's Linux this summer. Its name is DoudouLinux ( http://www.doudoulinux.org/ ) and its main goals are the following:
* be as easy to use as a gaming console
* provide as much kid oriented apps as possible (currently around 50)
* drive small children into mastering computer use from age 2
* be natively in kids language, we currently support 8 languages and provide 7 additional demo languages
* be simple for Dad and Mum too (no administration, no updates – it's read-only system, no naughty web sites – thanks to web content filtering, etc.)
Well we propose you to give it a try and let us know . Thank you in advance.
The bug was introduced back in 2009 and has been lurking around all this time.
The new release deprecates the sshd_config UsePrivilegeSeparation option.
Lives on as a community project
Five new systems join Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition that come with Ubuntu pre-installed.
The Skype Linux client now has almost the same capabilities that it enjoys on other platforms.
At CeBIT 2017, OpenStack Day will offer a wide range of lectures and discussions.
A major setback for the Linux desktop.
Improved support for GPU in virtualization.
News site for the openSUSE community falls victim to a Wordpress exploit.
The source code is available online.