Qimo For Kids 2.0 Released
Kid-friendly Linux distro gets a new character, features.
Qimo For Kids, the Linux distro aimed at educating children, today received a minor upgrade in the form of Qimo 2.0.
Qimo 2.0 features support for multiple accounts and replaces the eToys application on the launcher with Laby, a educational game that teaches children the basics of programming. A new character is introduced to the Qimo environment. Illa (pronounced 'ee-la') is a polar bear.
Qimo is based on Xubuntu Linux. If you're already using Ubuntu 10.04, Qimo can be run within your existing OS by using Apt-get or Synaptic to add the qimo-session package from the Universe repository. Qimo 2.0 can be dowloaded via BitTorrent and mirrored at USF, NiuX, and the University Roma.
Try DoudouLinux!We have launched a new kid's Linux this summer. Its name is DoudouLinux ( http://www.doudoulinux.org/ ) and its main goals are the following:
* be as easy to use as a gaming console
* provide as much kid oriented apps as possible (currently around 50)
* drive small children into mastering computer use from age 2
* be natively in kids language, we currently support 8 languages and provide 7 additional demo languages
* be simple for Dad and Mum too (no administration, no updates – it's read-only system, no naughty web sites – thanks to web content filtering, etc.)
Well we propose you to give it a try and let us know . Thank you in advance.
Carnegie Mellon researchers say 3 million pages could fall down the phishing hole in the next year.
The US government rolls new best-practice rules for protecting SSH.
Klaus Knopper announces the latest version of his iconic Live Linux system.
DARPA and NICTA release the code for the ultra-secure microkernel system used in aerial drones.
Should you trust an online service to store your online passwords?
New B+ board lets you build cool things without the complication of a powered USB hub.
Redmond rushes in to root out alleged malware haven.
New initiative will bring futuristic virtual reality effects to the web surfing experience.