Issue #11: Google Special / May 2011
Cover Theme: Google
DVD: Peppermint OS
Download this issue as a PDF:
The innovators at Google have assembled an impressive collection of free tools for working, exploring, collaborating, and distributing information on the web. This Google Special Edition takes a close look at the tools of the Google environment.
Google tools examined in this issue include Google+, SketchUp, Docs, Calendar, Groups, Reader, Earth, Chart, photo tools, Checkout, Sites, Gears, Blogger, Web Toolkit, Maps API, Gadgets, AdSense, and more!
The Google Life: Google envisions a whole way of life centered around online services available in a browser window. We’ll introduce you to the exciting new Google+ social networking tool and show you around the Google universe.
- Introduction: Google provides an impressive collection of free tools for working, exploring, collaborating, and distributing information on the web. Find out how to make the most of the Google environment.
- Google+: Wave goodbye to old social media paradigms and say hello to Google+ Circles.
- Google+ with Business: Now that Google+ has been released into the wild, find out what this new social media network can do for your business.
- Google Docs: Your documents, spreadsheets, and presentations are always available on the web with Google’s productivity suite.
- Groups: Build community with a custom discussion group. We show you how to create your own online group in minutes.
- Calendar: Manage your schedule in the cloud, share your appointments, subscribe to other calendars, and embed your calendar in other Google apps.
- Reader: Google Reader collects the lowdown on your favorite topics.
- Mobile Tools: Google provides a handy collection of tools that make your smart devices smarter.
- Google Earth: Explore the Earth, sky, Moon, Mars, and more.
- SketchUp: Build 3D models online with this handy drawing tool.
- Chart: This powerful API helps you out when pictures will speak louder than words.
- Photo Tools: Google keeps adding to its store of fabulous tools to feed your photography fetish.
- Checkout: Ease into the express lane with Google Checkout.
- Sites: Create a collaborative website the easy way.
- Blogger: Enhance your online presence with a personal blog.
- Maps API: Incorporate interactive maps into your web pages with the Google Maps API.
- Gadgets: Dress up your site with a few of these free gadgets.
- Webmaster Tools: Help your site achieve a higher rank in Google’s search index.
- AdSense: Earn money by adding advertisements to your website.
A new study says it is possible to unmask 81% of TOR users.
Redmond joins the revolution by turning the .NET Core Runtime into a GitHub project.
Users only had 7 hours to update before the intrusions started.
It's official: The new web arrives
Kernel king admits his tone has alienated volunteers, but says the demands of the process require directness.
New flaw in an old encryption scheme leaves the experts scrambling to disable SSL 3
Lennart Poettering wants to change the way Linux developers talk to each other.
Enterprise giant frees itself from ink and home PCs (and visa versa).
Mozilla’s product think tank sinks silently into history.
TODO group will focus on open source tools in large-scale environments.