"Logging" In to a chroot
At this point, you'll be able to access the chroot with a command such as $ chroot /chroot/ bash, which will chroot you into the /chroot/ directory and execute bash from within it.
As I mentioned, chroot is not an inherently secure method for isolating applications. By not logging into the chroot as a privileged user such as root, and by removing any setuid and setgid binaries that run with elevated privileges, you can ensure that nothing runs as root within the chroot environment:
# find / -type f -perm +6000
Sandboxing is now easier than ever and its benefits have never been more important. Isolating badly written web applications from the underlying operating system or letting an administrator install a program without affecting the system can save both time and money. Like anything, prevention and foresight can significantly reduce the amount of work needed to maintain and fix a system long term, and sandboxing offers a practical tool to accomplish this.
- Bochs: http://bochs.sourceforge.net/
- KVM: http://kvm.qumranet.com/kvmwiki
- OpenVZ: http://openvz.org/
- QEMU: http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/
- User-Mode Linux: http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/
- VMware Server http://www.vmware.com/products/server/
- VirtualBox: http://www.virtualbox.org/
- XEN: http://xensource.com/
- Debian chroot instructions: http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-tips.en.html#s-chroot
- Free VPS: http://www.freevps.com/
- Linux-VServer: http://linux-vserver.org/
- AppArmor: http://www.novell.com/linux/security/apparmor/
- SELinux: http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/
Richard Stallman calls for the W3C to remain independent of vendor interests.
The new release supports nine architectures, 73 human languages, and zero non-Free components.
Fedora developers release the first alpha version of Fedora 19, known as Schrödinger’s Cat, for general testing. The final release is expected in July 2013.
ack is a grep-like, command-line tool that has been optimized for programmers to search large trees of source code.
New features in SUSE Studio 1.3 include enhanced cloud integration, VM platform support, and lifecycle management.
The Linux Foundation recently announced that the Xen Project is becoming a Linux Foundation Collaborative Project.
Open source version of LiveCode is now available for developing apps, games, and utilities for all major platforms.
OpenDaylight is an open source software-defined networking project committed to furthering adoption of SDN and accelerating innovation in a vendor-neutral and open environment.
The new Gnome release includes privacy and sharing settings, allowing more user control over access to personal information.
Mozilla is collaborating with Samsung on a new web browser engine called Servo.