Investigating Windows systems with Linux
With the addition of a couple of extra packages, the Windows world is wide open to an investigator running Linux. If you need more of this good thing, take a look at the free forensic tools by Foundstone . These tools give investigators the ability to restore cookies, long-gone entries from the Windows trash can, and many other things.
Experienced Linux users might find the shell approach refreshing, but some users will prefer to avoid the complex command-line syntax. The learning curve for Linux newcomers will likely be steeper for open source tools compared with more expensive commercial products. The winner in the usability stakes has to be the fully automated Ophcrack Live CD, which removes the need for users to type pesky shell commands and displays the local user's Windows passwords shortly after booting.
When we tested this on an XP system (SP2), the CD took just 280 seconds to discover the credentials of the five user accounts (which included up to 14 characters; see Figure 5). The live Linux version on the CD includes just the tables for alphanumeric passwords without non-standard characters. If you want more, you will have to invest in the commercial Rainbow Tables.
- Guidance Software: http://www.guidancesoftware.com
- X-Ways: http://www.x-ways.net/corporate/index-m.html
- Ewfacquire: https://www.uitwisselplatform.nl/projects/libewf
- Helix: http://www.e-fense.com/helix
- Endianness: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endianness
- The Sleuth Kit: http://sleuthkit.org
- Wikipedia on file slack: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File-Slack
- bmap: http://www.packetstormsecurity.org/linux/security/bmap-1.0.17.tar.gz
- File slack analysis on Linux: http://www.woerter.at/dud/stuff/fileslack.pdf
- Pasco download: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/odessa/pasco_20040505_1.tar.gz?modtime=1083715200&big_mirror=0
- Mork.pl: http://www.jwz.org/hacks/mork.pl
- Dumphive: http://v4.guadalinex.org/guadalinex-toro/pool/main/d/dumphive/dumphive_0.0.3-1_i386.deb
- Ophcrack and Ophcrack Live CD: http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net
- Foundstone Forensic Tools: http://www.foundstone.com/us/resources-free-tools.asp
Buy this article as PDF
But you can still be a non-voting “individual supporter” if you pay the money
Several current systems could fall victim to the attack
Latest Linux engine comes with better graphics and support for Intel's new power-saving chips.
Hackers send a message of beauty and liberation to server logs
Citrix gets excited about new Pi-Powered XenDesktop client system
Linux on Azure cert heralds a new era for Redmond.
Proposals for presentations at the CeBIT Open Source Forum will be accepted through 24 January 2016.
Adobe looks for a new start; renames its embattled Flash tool.
The Pi's popular Raspbian OS pursues secrecy without entropy.
VMware bids for a stake in the container industry with a bold effort to integrate containers with its classic virtualization system.