Identity management on the web with Open ID
Practical and Open
OpenID is a step in the right direction for identity management. Because OpenID implements single sign-on, it becomes more convenient for users by reducing the number of passwords you need to remember. The ability to manage attributes is far more powerful than it appears at first glance.
The number of websites using OpenID continues to skyrocket, but some really big applications will still need to prove whether they fulfill all of the operative and conceptional requirements with respect to trust and availability.
Identity Management and Federation
OpenID is not the only identity management project. Feder ID , for example, is an open source project from France. One of the project's contributors, Clément Oudot, underlined the importance of digital identities for access to web resources in a recent interview with Linux Magazine.
According to Oudot, many users possess a separate identity for each website. This is major issue for large enterprises and organizations, as users need to memorize multiple passwords. Feder ID provides tools for synchronizing identity repositories. These attributes are not only available to a single local organization; they can be shared by trusted partners.
The Feder ID tools are open source licensed and comply with the IETF (Internet Engineering Task Force), OASIS (Organization for the Advancement of Structured Information Standards), and Liberty Alliance standards for identity management.
- Microsoft Passport: http://www.passport.net
- Liberty Alliance Project: http://www.projectliberty.org
- OpenID project: http://openid.net
- Myopenid (provider): http://myopenid.com
- Mediawiki extension for OpenID: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:OpenID
- Drupal support for OpenID: http://drupal.org/project/openid
- Open Source libraries for OpenID: http://wiki.openid.net/Libraries
- "Keeping Customers and Merchants Secure", Whitepaper, Secure Computing: http://www.securecomputing.com/webform.cfm?id=289&ref=pci
- Feder ID: http://federid.objectweb.org
Buy this article as PDF
New partnership will bring more and better CS training to US schools
Criminals offer online help over Tor network
Sophisticated malware is still present on Joomla and WordPress sites around the world.
New release marks the arrival of AMD’s unified driver strategy.
A new study by IDC charts big changes in the big hardware market.
Azure CTO says Redmond has already considered the unthinkable.
Lead developer quells rumors that the Debian version is slated for center stage.
MSBuild is now just another GitHub project as Redmond continues its path to the light.