Dissecting network traffic
Update to Upgrade 2.0
Thanks to Jan Andrejkovic for pointing out a tool I missed in my column "Upgrade 2.0" . Fedora ships with a program called Presto  that uses DeltaRPMs to provide smaller updates. In my first test, a normal update would have required 972MB of downloads, but with Presto, it was a mere 224MB (pretty impressive savings). Fedora 11 now includes a yum-presto package (not to be confused with the presto package that is a graphics-related engine) that is a plugin for the yum program. Installation is simple:
yum install yum-presto
First, manually update your /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo to include either a baseurl or mirrorurl pointing to a site that carries the presto RPMs (they are signed with the GnuPG key of Jonathan Dieter, so you need to trust him). Alternatively, you can run your own repository and create RPMs with the presto-utils. If you have more than one system, this might be your best bet.
- Wireshark: http://www.wireshark.org/
- Wireshark source code stable download: http://www.wireshark.org/download/src/
- Wireshark source code devel download: http://www.wireshark.org/download/automated/src/
- Wireshark security vulnerabilities: http://www.wireshark.org/security/
- "Upgrade 2.0" by Kurt Seifried, Linux Pro Magazine, October 2009, p. 66: https://www.linux-magazine.com/w3/issue/107/066-067_kurt.pdf
- Presto: https://fedorahosted.org/presto/
The bug was introduced back in 2009 and has been lurking around all this time.
The new release deprecates the sshd_config UsePrivilegeSeparation option.
Lives on as a community project
Five new systems join Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition that come with Ubuntu pre-installed.
The Skype Linux client now has almost the same capabilities that it enjoys on other platforms.
At CeBIT 2017, OpenStack Day will offer a wide range of lectures and discussions.
A major setback for the Linux desktop.
Improved support for GPU in virtualization.
News site for the openSUSE community falls victim to a Wordpress exploit.
The source code is available online.