Exploring the Raspberry Pi through real-world projects
Raspberry Pi is obviously not a desktop system. If using the terminal seems too strange and cryptic to you, you should start with the desktop and work your way to the command line gradually.
From its very conception, the RasPi was conceived as an energy-efficient PC for multimedia applications, and it is clearly intended for use as an embedded system. The hardware is ideally suited for use as a server or process computer, or for controlling tasks in hobby projects that are not too power hungry. The configuration makes it possible to connect necessary peripherals, and the header practically begs you to put together additional features to suit your own needs. A specialized Linux distributions will help make the first steps easier for novices.
The developers have achieved their original goal of making computer technology tangible for interested – and especially young – people. The winter and school year are in their most difficult phases; for the next project in your basement, Raspberry Pi receives our warmest recommendations.
- Raspberry Pi: http://www.raspberrypi.org
- Hardware Buying Guide: http://elinux.org/RPi_Hardware_Basic_Setup#Typical_Hardware_You_Will_Need
- More help choosing hardware: http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals
- Farnell element14 (Europe)/Newark element14 (North America): http://uk.farnell.com http://www.newark.com
- RS Components (UK)/Allied Electronics (North America): http://uk.rs-online.com http://www.alliedelec.com
- For answers to questions, turn to: http://elinux.org/RaspberryPiBoard
- Raspbian "Wheezy": http://www.raspbian.org
- Omxplayer audio/video player: https://github.com/huceke/omxplayer
- Hostapd: http://hostap.epitest.fi/hostapd
- Quick2Wire Python API: https://github.com/quick2wire/quick2wire-python-api
- GPIO Admin: https://github.com/quick2wire/quick2wire-gpio-admin
Buy this article as PDF
VMware bids for a stake in the container industry with a bold effort to integrate containers with its classic virtualization system.
3ROS attack tool lowers the technical bar so anyone can be an intruder.
Mozilla's latest browser offers powerful new privacy feature
If attackers are on your system, saving your passwords in a password vault is no protection.
Faulty hash algorithm persists, despite efforts by experts to raise awareness.
Powerful man-in-the-middle attack is now targeting online shopping.
Another high-profile coder says the kernel team needs a kinder, gentler culture.
Bug database has a bug of its own that could allow an intruder to create an unauthorized account.
Report focuses federal resources on achieving universal Internet access.
Leading browser makers say “no” to porous encryption algorithm