Exploring the Raspberry Pi through real-world projects
Raspberry Pi is obviously not a desktop system. If using the terminal seems too strange and cryptic to you, you should start with the desktop and work your way to the command line gradually.
From its very conception, the RasPi was conceived as an energy-efficient PC for multimedia applications, and it is clearly intended for use as an embedded system. The hardware is ideally suited for use as a server or process computer, or for controlling tasks in hobby projects that are not too power hungry. The configuration makes it possible to connect necessary peripherals, and the header practically begs you to put together additional features to suit your own needs. A specialized Linux distributions will help make the first steps easier for novices.
The developers have achieved their original goal of making computer technology tangible for interested – and especially young – people. The winter and school year are in their most difficult phases; for the next project in your basement, Raspberry Pi receives our warmest recommendations.
- Raspberry Pi: http://www.raspberrypi.org
- Hardware Buying Guide: http://elinux.org/RPi_Hardware_Basic_Setup#Typical_Hardware_You_Will_Need
- More help choosing hardware: http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals
- Farnell element14 (Europe)/Newark element14 (North America): http://uk.farnell.com http://www.newark.com
- RS Components (UK)/Allied Electronics (North America): http://uk.rs-online.com http://www.alliedelec.com
- For answers to questions, turn to: http://elinux.org/RaspberryPiBoard
- Raspbian "Wheezy": http://www.raspbian.org
- Omxplayer audio/video player: https://github.com/huceke/omxplayer
- Hostapd: http://hostap.epitest.fi/hostapd
- Quick2Wire Python API: https://github.com/quick2wire/quick2wire-python-api
- GPIO Admin: https://github.com/quick2wire/quick2wire-gpio-admin
Buy this article as PDF
Both projects help organizations build their own containerized systems.
Mark Shuttleworth has resumed the position of CEO of Canonical.
Microsoft's open source code hosting platform CodePlex will come to an end after a more than 10-year stint.
Comes with Gnome 3.24
The bug was introduced back in 2009 and has been lurking around all this time.
The new release deprecates the sshd_config UsePrivilegeSeparation option.
Lives on as a community project
Five new systems join Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition that come with Ubuntu pre-installed.
The Skype Linux client now has almost the same capabilities that it enjoys on other platforms.
At CeBIT 2017, OpenStack Day will offer a wide range of lectures and discussions.