Issue #128 / Jul 2011
This month, learn how to customize your hardware configuration through the powerful udev system. We also help you optimize your code for the processor topology, and we show you how to use your smartphone as a remote.
Also in the July issue:
- Table of Contents
- Letter from the Editor: Bring on the Trolls
- Boxee Box: You don't need a box to set up Boxee Box, the open source personal video recorder. We'll show you how to put Boxee on a plain Linux system.
- Tech News
- Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" Sixpack DVD
- DVD Inlay
- Open Search Server: The OSS indexing suite integrates search capabilities into your websites.
- iSCSI: Use iSCSI to reach network-aware SCSI storage devices.
- Charly - crontab Hazards: Avert disaster by mastering cron script parameters.
- Security Lessons - JTAG Hacking: Load custom firmware with a little JTAG hacking.
- Ask Klaus! Your Linux questions are answered.
- Perl - Banshee Database: Access Banshee metadata in an SQLite database.
- sz/rz Over SSH: Send and receive files over SSH.
- Workspace - Makagiga: A tool for every kind of content.
- Xara Xtreme for Linux: Xara is an Inkscape alternative for vector graphics.
- FVWM: This old-time window manager gives you control over your desktop.
- Radio Tray: Systray web radio control.
- Command Line - GPG: Keep secure with GNU Privacy Guard.
- Review - GNOME 3: Discover the Gnome 3 desktop.
- Cache: Flattr makes it easy to support the open source projects you love.
- Doghouse: An open letter to a young man considering free software.
- Kernel News: As the Kernel Turns
- Projects on the Move: Vinca, Orca, and Gnome lead the way in Linux accessibility.
Both projects help organizations build their own containerized systems.
Mark Shuttleworth has resumed the position of CEO of Canonical.
Microsoft's open source code hosting platform CodePlex will come to an end after a more than 10-year stint.
Comes with Gnome 3.24
The bug was introduced back in 2009 and has been lurking around all this time.
The new release deprecates the sshd_config UsePrivilegeSeparation option.
Lives on as a community project
Five new systems join Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition that come with Ubuntu pre-installed.
The Skype Linux client now has almost the same capabilities that it enjoys on other platforms.
At CeBIT 2017, OpenStack Day will offer a wide range of lectures and discussions.