Customize your mail environment with the light and powerful Claws Mail
Claws Mail offers other useful features, such as the powerful QuickSearch tool, which allows searching through folders and sub-folders based on any criteria. QuickSearch can search in standard headers, but it also has an Extended mode, which enlists the full power of the filtering engine.
Setup Wizard for Sys Admins
System administrators can create a wizard configuration template with the correct values entered in the setup wizard, so users only need to enter their passwords. Using the configuration template, the system administrator can define the server addresses, add LDAP servers or people to the address book, add filtering rules, and load plugins.
To set up a configuration template:
- Start Claws Mail with a user who does not have a ~/.claws-mail directory, click through the wizard without entering any settings, and then use the Save button to exit the wizard.
- Quit Claws Mail.
- Edit the newly created wizard template file ~/.claws-mail/accountrc.tmpl and save it. The template file is fully commented with instructions and details about each entry.
- Delete both ~/.claws-mail/accountrc and ~/.claws-mail/folderlist.xml, then recursively copy the .claws-mail directory to /etc/skel/. If Claws Mail will use MH folders, then also copy the Mail directory to /etc/skel/. Then chown both these directories in /etc/skel/ to root:root.
Claws also supports user-defined hotkeys and provides good mailing list support. Several operations are available from the command line that allow interaction with external applications, such as web browsers or file managers. More than 20 plugins support features such as RSS reading, PDF display, and personal and public calendaring.
If you like a lot of control over your email, and you're looking for a powerful application that is light on resources, give Claws Mail a try.
- Claws Mail: http://www.claws-mail.org
- Sylpheed: http://sylpheed.sraoss.jp/en/
- GTK+, the GIMP Tool Kit: http://www.gtk.org
- Claws Mail User Manual: http://www.claws-mail.org/documentation.php
- Claws Mail plugins: http://www.claws-mail.org/plugins.php
- Claws Mail themes: http://www.claws-mail.org/themes.php
Buy this article as PDF
New partnership will bring more and better CS training to US schools
Criminals offer online help over Tor network
Sophisticated malware is still present on Joomla and WordPress sites around the world.
Future versions of Ubuntu's code service will support the popular Git version control system used with Linux and other open source projects.
New release marks the arrival of AMD’s unified driver strategy.
A new study by IDC charts big changes in the big hardware market.
Azure CTO says Redmond has already considered the unthinkable.
Lead developer quells rumors that the Debian version is slated for center stage.
MSBuild is now just another GitHub project as Redmond continues its path to the light.
Malware could pass data and commands between disconnected computers without leaving a trace on the network.