Launching web applications in Prism
No matter how smart working with web applications might be, you are likely to experience the downside on several occasions in your daily work. For example, the pages you need to load are often several hundred kilobytes in size, and this can be a major issue if you have narrow-band Internet access. Also, working with a web application is typically far slower than using a local application.
Anyone using a freely accessible web application should be aware of at least one thing: Nobody can guarantee that your data will be kept safe from inquisitive third parties. For this reason, you should keep confidential data well away from online programs, unless you use encryption.
Top 10 Web Applications
The following list of web pages provides a selection of online applications that are particularly well suited to Prism integration. Generally speaking, the program will cooperate with any web page that Firefox will let you view, which means that you could easily integrate your bank's online banking interface.
- Google Maps – electronic atlas with route planning: http://maps.google.com/
- Google Notebook – virtual clipboard: http://www.google.com/notebook/
- Google text and tables – spreadsheet and word processor: http://docs.google.com/
- Google Mail – email client: https://mail.google.com/
- Web2ftp – ftp client: http://web2ftp.com/
- Television guide – electronic program guide: http://www.tvguide.com/
- Snipshot – image manipulation: http://snipshot.com/
- Virustotal – check files for viruses online: http://www.virustotal.com/
- Packman – the popular game from the 1980s: http://web2.server7.devteam.dk/pacman/pacman.html?LANG=en
- Buzzword – word processor: http://www.buzzword.com/
The advantages of Prism are restricted to having more space on the desktop for the web application and to launching each web application in a separate process. That said, the lack of back and forward buttons means that clicking on any internally linked page can leave you up the creek without a paddle.
Buy this article as PDF
News site for the openSUSE community falls victim to a Wordpress exploit.
The source code is available online.
One out of three virtual machines on Microsoft Azure Cloud run Linux.
The form factor of the board makes it a drop-in replacement for Raspberry Pi.
Makes it easier for customers to move workloads into container-centric applications.
SUSE’s answer to container-centric operating systems.
Linux 4.9 is the biggest release in terms of number of commits.
The latest version of the official RHEL clone is here.
New release targets Linux professionals.
The Fedora project adds Wayland and Gnome 3.22