Launching web applications in Prism
No matter how smart working with web applications might be, you are likely to experience the downside on several occasions in your daily work. For example, the pages you need to load are often several hundred kilobytes in size, and this can be a major issue if you have narrow-band Internet access. Also, working with a web application is typically far slower than using a local application.
Anyone using a freely accessible web application should be aware of at least one thing: Nobody can guarantee that your data will be kept safe from inquisitive third parties. For this reason, you should keep confidential data well away from online programs, unless you use encryption.
Top 10 Web Applications
The following list of web pages provides a selection of online applications that are particularly well suited to Prism integration. Generally speaking, the program will cooperate with any web page that Firefox will let you view, which means that you could easily integrate your bank's online banking interface.
- Google Maps – electronic atlas with route planning: http://maps.google.com/
- Google Notebook – virtual clipboard: http://www.google.com/notebook/
- Google text and tables – spreadsheet and word processor: http://docs.google.com/
- Google Mail – email client: https://mail.google.com/
- Web2ftp – ftp client: http://web2ftp.com/
- Television guide – electronic program guide: http://www.tvguide.com/
- Snipshot – image manipulation: http://snipshot.com/
- Virustotal – check files for viruses online: http://www.virustotal.com/
- Packman – the popular game from the 1980s: http://web2.server7.devteam.dk/pacman/pacman.html?LANG=en
- Buzzword – word processor: http://www.buzzword.com/
The advantages of Prism are restricted to having more space on the desktop for the web application and to launching each web application in a separate process. That said, the lack of back and forward buttons means that clicking on any internally linked page can leave you up the creek without a paddle.
Buy this article as PDF
New partnership will bring more and better CS training to US schools
Criminals offer online help over Tor network
Sophisticated malware is still present on Joomla and WordPress sites around the world.
Future versions of Ubuntu's code service will support the popular Git version control system used with Linux and other open source projects.
New release marks the arrival of AMD’s unified driver strategy.
A new study by IDC charts big changes in the big hardware market.
Azure CTO says Redmond has already considered the unthinkable.
Lead developer quells rumors that the Debian version is slated for center stage.
MSBuild is now just another GitHub project as Redmond continues its path to the light.
Malware could pass data and commands between disconnected computers without leaving a trace on the network.