Choosing tools for effective virtualization
Xen Source Server used to be a Linux virtualization solution that was very close to the VMware concept. Citrix recently acquired Xen Source. The server product, which is now know as Citrix Xen Server, is still a Linux system at its core. Unfortunately, the Citrix Xen Server command bridge, which is known as Xen Center, has been transformed into a Windows-only application (Figure 2). One point worthy of notice is that Xen now has a live migration feature, XenMotion, which resembles VMware's VMotion.
Linux virtualization has entered the real world, and the choice of tools comes down to real-world questions of stability, efficiency, and management. The commercial vendors, with their well-integrated, graphical controls, are currently the major contenders. On the other hand, a single host is easily managed through less sophisticated alternatives.
Before choosing a virtualization system, take a careful look at your needs and build a comprehensive solution that is easy to manage, monitor, and deploy. Also, leave yourself room to grow, because you're no longer limited by the size of your server room.
- VMware: http://http://www.vmware.com
- Virtual Iron: http://www.virtualiron.com
- Novell: http://www.novell.com
- Red Hat: http://www.redhat.com/
- Xen: http://www.xen.org/
- Citrix: http://www.citrix.com/
- VServer: http://linux-vserver.org/
- Qumranet: http://www.qumranet.com/
- KVM: http://kvm.qumranet.com/
- Solid ICE: http://web1.qumranet.com/
- QEMU: http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/
- VirtualBox: http://www.virtualbox.org
- S3: http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?node=16427261
- Parallels: http://www.parallels.com/
- Ganeti: http://code.google.com/p/ganeti/
- SWsoft: http://www.swsoft.com
- OpenVZ: http://openvz.org/
- openQRM: http://www.openqrm.com
- xen-tools: http://xen-tools.org
Buy this article as PDF
Both projects help organizations build their own containerized systems.
Mark Shuttleworth has resumed the position of CEO of Canonical.
Microsoft's open source code hosting platform CodePlex will come to an end after a more than 10-year stint.
Comes with Gnome 3.24
The bug was introduced back in 2009 and has been lurking around all this time.
The new release deprecates the sshd_config UsePrivilegeSeparation option.
Lives on as a community project
Five new systems join Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition that come with Ubuntu pre-installed.
The Skype Linux client now has almost the same capabilities that it enjoys on other platforms.
At CeBIT 2017, OpenStack Day will offer a wide range of lectures and discussions.