Software updates and TUF
You can no longer assume downloading unsigned software is safe. Between programs like FinFisher and the verified incidents of widespread BGP route hacking, it is best to assume that even if you are not targeted by attackers, you might get caught up in a widespread attack. Relying on HTTPS isn't a safe bet anymore, because certificate authorities can issue fake certificates to government departments so that they can intercept SSL communications. What is needed is end-to-end signing of the data, as well as signed metadata – all of which TUF provides.
- FinFisher: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FinFisher
- OpenSSL website compromised: http://www.openssl.org/news/secadv_hack.txt
- TUF – The Update Framework: https://github.com/theupdateframework
- Tor: https://www.torproject.org/
- Survivable key compromise: http://freehaven.net/~arma/tuf-ccs2010.pdf
- OpenGPG card: http://www.g10code.de/p-card.html
- PEP 458: http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0458/
- TUF interface for RubyGems: http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/rubygems-developers/2013-November/007044.html
- Targeted Internet traffic misdirection: http://www.renesys.com/2013/11/mitm-internet-hijacking/
- Further improving digital certificate security: http://googleonlinesecurity.blogspot.ca/2013/12/further-improving-digital-certificate.html
Buy this article as PDF
A new study says it is possible to unmask 81% of TOR users.
Redmond joins the revolution by turning the .NET Core Runtime into a GitHub project.
Users only had 7 hours to update before the intrusions started.
It's official: The new web arrives
Kernel king admits his tone has alienated volunteers, but says the demands of the process require directness.
New flaw in an old encryption scheme leaves the experts scrambling to disable SSL 3
Lennart Poettering wants to change the way Linux developers talk to each other.
Enterprise giant frees itself from ink and home PCs (and visa versa).
Mozilla’s product think tank sinks silently into history.
TODO group will focus on open source tools in large-scale environments.