Version 5 of KDE Frameworks is nearing completion
The developers of KDE Frameworks 5 seem to be on the right track. The libraries are platform-independent, leaner, and more modular. Programmers can also selectively pick out the frameworks that their program needs and no longer need to deliver a bunch of unused libraries. All Qt and KDE developers will benefit from transferring the ownership of the source code to the Qt project. They will also benefit from the standardized development guidelines and tools that use a style similar to Qt.
However, KDE Frameworks 5 still comprises more than 50 individual components through which developers must navigate. The division into types and tiers confuses rather than helps – a simple list of all the existing libraries and their dependencies would be clearer and more meaningful. According to Aleix Pol, however, two reasons speak for these classifications: "They helped us in communicating and gave us a picture of where things were going. In addition, nobody wanted to list the dependencies of KIO"  (see Figure 3).
- "Repositioning the KDE Brand" by Stuart Jarvis: http://dot.kde.org/2009/11/24/repositioning-kde-brand
- KDE Community wiki – Frameworks/Terminology: http://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Terminology
- Qt governance model: http://qt-project.org/wiki/The_Qt_Governance_Model
- "Qt 5.2 – Foundation for KDE Frameworks 5" by Jos Poortvliet: http://dot.kde.org/2013/12/17/qt-52-foundation-kde-frameworks-5
- KDE-Community-wiki – Contributing to Qt 5 epic: http://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Epics/Contributions_to_Qt5
- "Frameworks 5 Tech Preview" by Jos Poortvliet: http://dot.kde.org/2014/01/07/frameworks-5-tech-preview
- KDE Community wiki – Frameworks/Policies: http://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Policies
- KIO API: http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdelibs-apidocs/kio/html/index.html
- Dependencies graph of KDE Frameworks Version 5: http://agateau.com/tmp/kf5/kf5.png
- KDE Community wiki – Frameworks/List: http://community.kde.org/Frameworks/List
- "KDE Frameworks 5: A Big Deal for Free Software" by Jos Poortvliet: http://www.linux.com/news/software/applications/755768-kde-frameworks-5-a-big-deal-for-free-software
- Inqlude: http://inqlude.org
- "KDE Release Structure Evolves" by Howard Chan: http://dot.kde.org/2013/09/04/kde-release-structure-evolves
- Git repository: https://projects.kde.org/projects/frameworks
- Source code of the Tech Preview: http://download.kde.org/unstable/frameworks/4.95.0/
- KDE Community wiki – Frameworks/Coinstallability: http://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Coinstallability
- KDE Community wiki – Frameworks/Epics: http://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Epics
- KDE Community wiki – Frameworks/Building: http://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Building
- KIO dependencies: http://agateau.com/tmp/kf5/tier3-kio-simplified.png
Buy this article as PDF
Both projects help organizations build their own containerized systems.
Mark Shuttleworth has resumed the position of CEO of Canonical.
Microsoft's open source code hosting platform CodePlex will come to an end after a more than 10-year stint.
Comes with Gnome 3.24
The bug was introduced back in 2009 and has been lurking around all this time.
The new release deprecates the sshd_config UsePrivilegeSeparation option.
Lives on as a community project
Five new systems join Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition that come with Ubuntu pre-installed.
The Skype Linux client now has almost the same capabilities that it enjoys on other platforms.
At CeBIT 2017, OpenStack Day will offer a wide range of lectures and discussions.