Version 5 of KDE Frameworks is nearing completion
The developers of KDE Frameworks 5 seem to be on the right track. The libraries are platform-independent, leaner, and more modular. Programmers can also selectively pick out the frameworks that their program needs and no longer need to deliver a bunch of unused libraries. All Qt and KDE developers will benefit from transferring the ownership of the source code to the Qt project. They will also benefit from the standardized development guidelines and tools that use a style similar to Qt.
However, KDE Frameworks 5 still comprises more than 50 individual components through which developers must navigate. The division into types and tiers confuses rather than helps – a simple list of all the existing libraries and their dependencies would be clearer and more meaningful. According to Aleix Pol, however, two reasons speak for these classifications: "They helped us in communicating and gave us a picture of where things were going. In addition, nobody wanted to list the dependencies of KIO"  (see Figure 3).
- "Repositioning the KDE Brand" by Stuart Jarvis: http://dot.kde.org/2009/11/24/repositioning-kde-brand
- KDE Community wiki – Frameworks/Terminology: http://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Terminology
- Qt governance model: http://qt-project.org/wiki/The_Qt_Governance_Model
- "Qt 5.2 – Foundation for KDE Frameworks 5" by Jos Poortvliet: http://dot.kde.org/2013/12/17/qt-52-foundation-kde-frameworks-5
- KDE-Community-wiki – Contributing to Qt 5 epic: http://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Epics/Contributions_to_Qt5
- "Frameworks 5 Tech Preview" by Jos Poortvliet: http://dot.kde.org/2014/01/07/frameworks-5-tech-preview
- KDE Community wiki – Frameworks/Policies: http://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Policies
- KIO API: http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdelibs-apidocs/kio/html/index.html
- Dependencies graph of KDE Frameworks Version 5: http://agateau.com/tmp/kf5/kf5.png
- KDE Community wiki – Frameworks/List: http://community.kde.org/Frameworks/List
- "KDE Frameworks 5: A Big Deal for Free Software" by Jos Poortvliet: http://www.linux.com/news/software/applications/755768-kde-frameworks-5-a-big-deal-for-free-software
- Inqlude: http://inqlude.org
- "KDE Release Structure Evolves" by Howard Chan: http://dot.kde.org/2013/09/04/kde-release-structure-evolves
- Git repository: https://projects.kde.org/projects/frameworks
- Source code of the Tech Preview: http://download.kde.org/unstable/frameworks/4.95.0/
- KDE Community wiki – Frameworks/Coinstallability: http://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Coinstallability
- KDE Community wiki – Frameworks/Epics: http://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Epics
- KDE Community wiki – Frameworks/Building: http://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Building
- KIO dependencies: http://agateau.com/tmp/kf5/tier3-kio-simplified.png
Buy this article as PDF
Report from the X-Force group says attackers are using TOR to hide their crimes
Future Firefox extensions will be compatible with Chrome.
Better read this if you bought your computer before 2011
Users should upgrade to the new version as soon as possible
Xen project announces a privilege escalation problem for Qemu host systems
Attackers can compromise an Android phone just by sending a text message
PC vendor will pre-install Ubuntu on portables in India.
More embarrassment for Adobe's embattled multimedia tool
Mozilla’s script blocker add-on could be putting malware sites on the whitelist.
The Internet community officially banishes the notoriously unsafe Secure Sockets Layer protocol.