Using Linux on Windows with Cygwin
startx connects the X server to a window manager running locally in Cygwin. For example,
/usr/bin/wmaker adds Windowmaker window decorations to the program window. Parameters for the X server itself follow the
startx interprets text before the delimiter as the program to be launched in the Cygwin environment, with any necessary options trailing:
$ startx /usr/bin/wmaker -- -nodecoration
The preceding command initiates a Windowmaker environment on the client side, which occupies the entire desktop above the taskbar. The command
$ startx /usr/bin/wmaker -- -mwextwm
is quite different. It hides the Linux desktop background, keeping the Windows desktop visible. For more information, check out the X.org man page for
Cygwin ports the X Window System, OpenSSH, and many other Unix and Linux programs to Windows, allowing Windows users to access Linux computers remotely. Cygwin performance is only satisfactory over a fast local network connection with low latency – a limitation currently only lifted by the no-cost NX Client  for remote X on Windows.
- Cygwin: http://www.cygwin.com
- Wine: http://www.winehq.org/
- Cygwin installer (32 bit): http://cygwin.com/setup-x86.exe
- Cygwin installer (64 bit): http://cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe
- Cygwin ports: http://cygwinports.org
- Cygwin ports mirrors: https://sourceware.org/mirrors.html
- Ported applications: ftp://sourceware.org/pub/cygwinports/
- Man page for Startxwin: http://x.cygwin.com/docs/man1/startxwin.1.html
- Man page for the Cygwin X server: http://x.cygwin.com/docs/man1/XWin.1.html
- Man page for Startx: http://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.5/doc/man/man1/startx.1.html
- NoMachine client: https://www.nomachine.com/download
Buy this article as PDF
VMware bids for a stake in the container industry with a bold effort to integrate containers with its classic virtualization system.
3ROS attack tool lowers the technical bar so anyone can be an intruder.
Mozilla's latest browser offers powerful new privacy feature
If attackers are on your system, saving your passwords in a password vault is no protection.
Faulty hash algorithm persists, despite efforts by experts to raise awareness.
Powerful man-in-the-middle attack is now targeting online shopping.
Another high-profile coder says the kernel team needs a kinder, gentler culture.
Bug database has a bug of its own that could allow an intruder to create an unauthorized account.
Report focuses federal resources on achieving universal Internet access.
Leading browser makers say “no” to porous encryption algorithm