June 12-14 – Writing Open Source: The Conference
ROSE Blog: Rikki's Open Source Exchange
Registration is now open for a documentation-focused event, Write Open Source: The Conference, which will be held June 12-14 in Owen Sound, Canada. A cool $250(CAN) will get you into the event, covers airport shuttle, and includes delicious meals made from locally grown food. (That Emma Jane Hogbin knows how to throw a party... I mean, conference.)
"Well what is Writing Open Source, and how do I convince my boss to pay for it?" you ask.
- Day one: "high level" sessions by experts. Topics include:
- information architecture
- commerce, revenue models and paying the mortgage
- learning styles and documentation to match
- community management
- Day two: unconference for all projects to share their experiences
- Day three: team sprints
Writing Open Source is:
- "innovative" in the sense that docs are gaining in momentum, but there aren't a lot of cross-project initiatives yet;
- a good opportunity for your project/company to look for new authors;
- cheaper than proprietary docs conferences;
- more focused on docs than typical open source conferences;
- people from multiple communities will be very motivated to establish best practices and implement change;
- happening in Canada and the Canadian dollar is "weak" again.
Space is limited, so register soon: http://www.writingopensource.com/registercomments powered by Disqus
Both projects help organizations build their own containerized systems.
Mark Shuttleworth has resumed the position of CEO of Canonical.
Microsoft's open source code hosting platform CodePlex will come to an end after a more than 10-year stint.
Comes with Gnome 3.24
The bug was introduced back in 2009 and has been lurking around all this time.
The new release deprecates the sshd_config UsePrivilegeSeparation option.
Lives on as a community project
Five new systems join Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition that come with Ubuntu pre-installed.
The Skype Linux client now has almost the same capabilities that it enjoys on other platforms.
At CeBIT 2017, OpenStack Day will offer a wide range of lectures and discussions.