The next generation: Mozilla Firefox 3
Firefox 3 made a good impression with new features, such as improved phishing protection (Figure 6) and easier installation of add-ons that do not originate from Mozilla's add-on page. The developers have introduced further improvements with Beta 4 . Firefox 3 looks likely to have support for the Internet keys on multimedia keyboards and will have improved support for Gnome session management.
Overall, Firefox 3 is a critical component of the Linux desktop. In the future, the software will integrate almost seamlessly, at the same time adding a number of convenient functions. Users who prefer the KDE desktop will be disappointed – Firefox is yet another project that has decided in favor of Gtk.
- Firefox roadmap: http://wiki.mozilla.org/ReleaseRoadmap
- Firefox download: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html
- Places system: http://wiki.mozilla.org/Places
- Places API: http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Places
- Acid2 browser test: http://www.webstandards.org/action/acid2/
- Cairo (Wikipedia): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairo_(graphics)#Mozilla
- Mozilla and Qt: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=297788
- Nightly builds: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nighly/latest-trunk/
- Firefox with Gtk pring dialog: http://ventorsblog.blogspot.com/2008/01/print-me-print-me-print-me-man-after.html
- CSS performance test: http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/csstest.html
- Load Time Analyzer: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3371
- Test table: http://howtocreate.co.uk/jslibs/oldindex.php
- JS performance test: http://webkit.org/perf/sunspider-0.9/sunspider.html
- Firefox Beta 4: http://ventnorsblog.blogspot.com/2008/02/beta-4-quickies.html
Buy this article as PDF
But you can still be a non-voting “individual supporter” if you pay the money
Several current systems could fall victim to the attack
Latest Linux engine comes with better graphics and support for Intel's new power-saving chips.
Hackers send a message of beauty and liberation to server logs
Citrix gets excited about new Pi-Powered XenDesktop client system
Linux on Azure cert heralds a new era for Redmond.
Proposals for presentations at the CeBIT Open Source Forum will be accepted through 24 January 2016.
Adobe looks for a new start; renames its embattled Flash tool.
The Pi's popular Raspbian OS pursues secrecy without entropy.
VMware bids for a stake in the container industry with a bold effort to integrate containers with its classic virtualization system.