The next generation: Mozilla Firefox 3
Firefox 3 made a good impression with new features, such as improved phishing protection (Figure 6) and easier installation of add-ons that do not originate from Mozilla's add-on page. The developers have introduced further improvements with Beta 4 . Firefox 3 looks likely to have support for the Internet keys on multimedia keyboards and will have improved support for Gnome session management.
Overall, Firefox 3 is a critical component of the Linux desktop. In the future, the software will integrate almost seamlessly, at the same time adding a number of convenient functions. Users who prefer the KDE desktop will be disappointed – Firefox is yet another project that has decided in favor of Gtk.
- Firefox roadmap: http://wiki.mozilla.org/ReleaseRoadmap
- Firefox download: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html
- Places system: http://wiki.mozilla.org/Places
- Places API: http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Places
- Acid2 browser test: http://www.webstandards.org/action/acid2/
- Cairo (Wikipedia): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairo_(graphics)#Mozilla
- Mozilla and Qt: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=297788
- Nightly builds: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nighly/latest-trunk/
- Firefox with Gtk pring dialog: http://ventorsblog.blogspot.com/2008/01/print-me-print-me-print-me-man-after.html
- CSS performance test: http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/csstest.html
- Load Time Analyzer: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3371
- Test table: http://howtocreate.co.uk/jslibs/oldindex.php
- JS performance test: http://webkit.org/perf/sunspider-0.9/sunspider.html
- Firefox Beta 4: http://ventnorsblog.blogspot.com/2008/02/beta-4-quickies.html
The Bavarian capital shuns Microsoft, Google, and other alternatives to implement an open-source groupware solution.
Phone vendor partnerships bring Mark Shuttleworth's dream of Ubuntu on a phone a step closer to reality.
Donors will get to vote on new features for the free video editor.
Debian project puts init out to pasture and says no to Ubuntu's Upstart.
Ultra-sophisticated attack tool might have originated from a state-sponsored intelligence service.
New alternative for init comes with a small footprint and minimal configuration.
X marks the target for the next-generation windowing system.
Super-clone CentOS Linux gets beamed up to the mother ship.
HTML technology will enable new video editing and playback options.
New Linux distro is optimzed for gaming.