"Logging" In to a chroot
At this point, you'll be able to access the chroot with a command such as $ chroot /chroot/ bash, which will chroot you into the /chroot/ directory and execute bash from within it.
As I mentioned, chroot is not an inherently secure method for isolating applications. By not logging into the chroot as a privileged user such as root, and by removing any setuid and setgid binaries that run with elevated privileges, you can ensure that nothing runs as root within the chroot environment:
# find / -type f -perm +6000
Sandboxing is now easier than ever and its benefits have never been more important. Isolating badly written web applications from the underlying operating system or letting an administrator install a program without affecting the system can save both time and money. Like anything, prevention and foresight can significantly reduce the amount of work needed to maintain and fix a system long term, and sandboxing offers a practical tool to accomplish this.
- Bochs: http://bochs.sourceforge.net/
- KVM: http://kvm.qumranet.com/kvmwiki
- OpenVZ: http://openvz.org/
- QEMU: http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/
- User-Mode Linux: http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/
- VMware Server http://www.vmware.com/products/server/
- VirtualBox: http://www.virtualbox.org/
- XEN: http://xensource.com/
- Debian chroot instructions: http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-tips.en.html#s-chroot
- Free VPS: http://www.freevps.com/
- Linux-VServer: http://linux-vserver.org/
- AppArmor: http://www.novell.com/linux/security/apparmor/
- SELinux: http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/
Version 16 of the popular Linux desktop reveals new tools, edge-snapping, and performance improvements.
Symantec says Linux-Darlioz burrows in through PHP.
Dell renews its quest for the ultimate developer machine.
Innovative back door looks like normal SSH traffic.
One of CeBITs most successful forums opens the new year with a new name. The popular Open Source Forum continues in 2014 under the name Special Conference: Open Source. This year, the forum will be bigger and offer a wider range of possibilities for sponsors.
New release offers better graphics drivers and expands filesystem support.
New mail protocol will shut out the NSA and prevent snooping on metadata.
A new web application helps users visualize distributed denial-of-service attacks.
Ubuntu 13.10 takes a step toward convergence, with lots of mobility, but Mir only partly here.
Galileo board is targeted to embedded developers and educational institutions.