"Logging" In to a chroot
At this point, you'll be able to access the chroot with a command such as $ chroot /chroot/ bash, which will chroot you into the /chroot/ directory and execute bash from within it.
As I mentioned, chroot is not an inherently secure method for isolating applications. By not logging into the chroot as a privileged user such as root, and by removing any setuid and setgid binaries that run with elevated privileges, you can ensure that nothing runs as root within the chroot environment:
# find / -type f -perm +6000
Sandboxing is now easier than ever and its benefits have never been more important. Isolating badly written web applications from the underlying operating system or letting an administrator install a program without affecting the system can save both time and money. Like anything, prevention and foresight can significantly reduce the amount of work needed to maintain and fix a system long term, and sandboxing offers a practical tool to accomplish this.
- Bochs: http://bochs.sourceforge.net/
- KVM: http://kvm.qumranet.com/kvmwiki
- OpenVZ: http://openvz.org/
- QEMU: http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/
- User-Mode Linux: http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/
- VMware Server http://www.vmware.com/products/server/
- VirtualBox: http://www.virtualbox.org/
- XEN: http://xensource.com/
- Debian chroot instructions: http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-tips.en.html#s-chroot
- Free VPS: http://www.freevps.com/
- Linux-VServer: http://linux-vserver.org/
- AppArmor: http://www.novell.com/linux/security/apparmor/
- SELinux: http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/
Buy this article as PDF
New tool will look like GParted but support a wider range of storage technologies.
New public key pinning feature will help prevent man-in-the-middle attacks.
Carnegie Mellon researchers say 3 million pages could fall down the phishing hole in the next year.
The US government rolls new best-practice rules for protecting SSH.
Klaus Knopper announces the latest version of his iconic Live Linux system.
All websites that use these popular CMS tools could be vulnerable to denial of service attacks if users don't install the updates.
According to a report, many potential victims of the Heartbleed attack have patched their systems, but few have cleaned up the crime scene to protect themselves from the effects of a previous intrusion.
DARPA and NICTA release the code for the ultra-secure microkernel system used in aerial drones.
Should you trust an online service to store your online passwords?
New B+ board lets you build cool things without the complication of a powered USB hub.