"Logging" In to a chroot
At this point, you'll be able to access the chroot with a command such as $ chroot /chroot/ bash, which will chroot you into the /chroot/ directory and execute bash from within it.
As I mentioned, chroot is not an inherently secure method for isolating applications. By not logging into the chroot as a privileged user such as root, and by removing any setuid and setgid binaries that run with elevated privileges, you can ensure that nothing runs as root within the chroot environment:
# find / -type f -perm +6000
Sandboxing is now easier than ever and its benefits have never been more important. Isolating badly written web applications from the underlying operating system or letting an administrator install a program without affecting the system can save both time and money. Like anything, prevention and foresight can significantly reduce the amount of work needed to maintain and fix a system long term, and sandboxing offers a practical tool to accomplish this.
- Bochs: http://bochs.sourceforge.net/
- KVM: http://kvm.qumranet.com/kvmwiki
- OpenVZ: http://openvz.org/
- QEMU: http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/
- User-Mode Linux: http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/
- VMware Server http://www.vmware.com/products/server/
- VirtualBox: http://www.virtualbox.org/
- XEN: http://xensource.com/
- Debian chroot instructions: http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-tips.en.html#s-chroot
- Free VPS: http://www.freevps.com/
- Linux-VServer: http://linux-vserver.org/
- AppArmor: http://www.novell.com/linux/security/apparmor/
- SELinux: http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/
Buy this article as PDF
A new study says it is possible to unmask 81% of TOR users.
Redmond joins the revolution by turning the .NET Core Runtime into a GitHub project.
Users only had 7 hours to update before the intrusions started.
It's official: The new web arrives
Kernel king admits his tone has alienated volunteers, but says the demands of the process require directness.
New flaw in an old encryption scheme leaves the experts scrambling to disable SSL 3
Lennart Poettering wants to change the way Linux developers talk to each other.
Enterprise giant frees itself from ink and home PCs (and visa versa).
Mozilla’s product think tank sinks silently into history.
TODO group will focus on open source tools in large-scale environments.