Programming with Boo
Saving Keystrokes and Sanity
The Boo project page offers recipes for database access, graphics solutions, and more. Boo developers socialize in a special-interest Google group, in an IRC channel dedicated to the language, and in a mailing list and wiki. Currently, the team is focused on improving Boo support in MonoDevelop.
If you are on Windows, Linux, or any platform with Mono and you are tired of typing braces and casting values, check out Boo. It has the best of at least three worlds.
- IronPython: http://www.codeplex.com/Wiki/View.aspx?ProjectName=IronPython
- IronRuby: http://www.ironruby.net/
- The Boo Project page: http://boo.codehaus.org/
- The Mono Project page: http://mono-project.com/
- The MonoDevelop IDE: http://monodevelop.com/
- Boo Primer: http://boo.codehaus.org/Boo+Primer
- A comprehensive list of source packages for Mono: http://ftp.novell.com/pub/mono/sources-stable
- Troubleshooting guides for missing libraries: http://mono-project.com/DllNotFoundException and http://mono-project.com/Config_DllMap
- Listings for this article: http://www.linux-magazine.com/resources/article_code
New release comes with better semantic search and improvements to Kontact.
Annual code quality report shows FOSS is more secure at all project size levels.
The Raspberry Pi Foundation has announced an even smaller version of the tiny computer that will fit into a DIMM slot.
A new class of problems lets a malicious app pre-configure an invisible privilege update.
New Hack language adds static typing and other conveniences.
New crypto policy system will offer easier configuration and more uniform security.
Ubuntu founder denounces insecurity in proprietary, close-source software blobs.
Vulnerability affects many Linux web servers
The Bavarian capital shuns Microsoft, Google, and other alternatives to implement an open source groupware solution.
Phone vendor partnerships bring Mark Shuttleworth's dream of Ubuntu on a phone a step closer to reality.