A USB dongle for one-time passwords
The benefits of OpenKubus include portability and the ability to customize hardware without breaking the bank. The drawback is that the stick and all the servers need to synchronize the serial number. If you need to authenticate against multiple servers, you will need a central server. Tools for managing OpenKubus in larger environments with large numbers of users are still rudimentary.
OpenKubus will not protect you against man-in-the-middle attacks . The service you are calling has to demonstrate authenticity separately. However, the project is an exciting platform for any administrator interested in experimenting.
- "One-Time Passwords" by Udo Seidel, Linux Magazine, November 2008, pg. 22
- USBprog wiring diagram: http://www.embedded-projects.net/usbprog
- Shop for OpenKubus hardware: http://shop.embedded-projects.net
- OpenKubus: http://code.google.com/p/openkubus (in German)
- Installation notes on AVR-GCC: http://www.nongnu.org/avr-libc/user-manual/install_tools.html
- PAM configuration syntax: http://kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/Linux-PAM-html/sag-configuration-file.html
- Wrapper Generator SWIG: http://www.swig.org/
- Man-in-the-middle attacks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-in-the-middle_attack
Mozilla’s script blocker add-on could be putting malware sites on the whitelist.
The Internet community officially banishes the notoriously unsafe Secure Sockets Layer protocol.
Popular desktop environment continues the Gnome 2 legacy – with new support for the Gnome 3 toolkit.
The Obama White House has issued a memorandum telling all US government agencies they must use HTTPS for all websites and web communication.
New program will dial up security for the Firefox browser.
Red Hat's community distro embraces the cloud.
New partnership will bring more and better CS training to US schools
Criminals offer online help over Tor network
Sophisticated malware is still present on Joomla and WordPress sites around the world.
Future versions of Ubuntu's code service will support the popular Git version control system used with Linux and other open source projects.