Building a dedicated download system with rTorrent
Adding a Torrent
To add a torrent, ssh into the remote machine and log in to your account. At the command line, open rTorrent with the following command:
To control rTorrent through SSH, you can use the normal key bindings (see Table 1). The best part is that if you paste the link of a torrent file (e.g., if your torrent is at http://www.torrentsite.com/tor.torrent) and paste it to the load prompt of rTorrent, rTorrent will download the file.
Another way to add a torrent is to ssh into the remote machine and wget the torrent file in the watch directory:
The preceding command tells rTorrent what to do with the file depending on the current state of the torrent (see the preceding section). Table 1 shows a list of useful rTorrent key bindings.
If you want more detailed information about key bindings, go to the rTorrent man page.
That old computer of yours will come in handy as a dedicated download system. For quite some time now, I have used this configuration successfully. Of course, if your system has the necessary resources, you might want to opt for a GUI-based interface for managing the torrents, which is possible with the alternative wTorrent tool. Happy Downloading!
- Debian net install image: http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/
- Debian Installation Manual: http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual
- rTorrent: http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/
- Wikipedia on BitTorrent: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_(protocol)
- rtorrent.rc sample: http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/export/1094/trunk/rtorrent/doc/rtorrent.rc
- CanYouSeeMe.org: http://www.canyouseeme.org/
- no-ip docs: http://www.no-ip.com/support/guides/update_clients/setting_up_linux_update_client.html
Linux Foundation's big event celebrates the 25th anniversary of Linux
Linux has evolved from a “won’t be a professional” project to one of the most professional software projects in the history of computers.
Competitors get in the game with RHEL without Red Hat
Security researchers have already notified Microsoft; some fixes are available
The company is collaborating with Google and Intel to use Kubernetes as an engine for Fuel
Customers can take a free test drive of SLES for HPC on the Azure Cloud
San Francisco-based chip company announces their first fully open source chip platform.
The whole distro gets rebuilt on glibc 2.3
Ubuntu Vendor tries to solve app packaging and distribution problem across distributions.