Building a dedicated download system with rTorrent
Adding a Torrent
To add a torrent, ssh into the remote machine and log in to your account. At the command line, open rTorrent with the following command:
To control rTorrent through SSH, you can use the normal key bindings (see Table 1). The best part is that if you paste the link of a torrent file (e.g., if your torrent is at http://www.torrentsite.com/tor.torrent) and paste it to the load prompt of rTorrent, rTorrent will download the file.
Another way to add a torrent is to ssh into the remote machine and wget the torrent file in the watch directory:
The preceding command tells rTorrent what to do with the file depending on the current state of the torrent (see the preceding section). Table 1 shows a list of useful rTorrent key bindings.
If you want more detailed information about key bindings, go to the rTorrent man page.
That old computer of yours will come in handy as a dedicated download system. For quite some time now, I have used this configuration successfully. Of course, if your system has the necessary resources, you might want to opt for a GUI-based interface for managing the torrents, which is possible with the alternative wTorrent tool. Happy Downloading!
- Debian net install image: http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/
- Debian Installation Manual: http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual
- rTorrent: http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/
- Wikipedia on BitTorrent: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_(protocol)
- rtorrent.rc sample: http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/export/1094/trunk/rtorrent/doc/rtorrent.rc
- CanYouSeeMe.org: http://www.canyouseeme.org/
- no-ip docs: http://www.no-ip.com/support/guides/update_clients/setting_up_linux_update_client.html
Bug database has a bug of its own that could allow an intruder to create an unauthorized account.
Report focuses federal resources on achieving universal Internet access.
Leading browser makers say “no” to porous encryption algorithm
Report from the X-Force group says attackers are using TOR to hide their crimes
Future Firefox extensions will be compatible with Chrome.
Better read this if you bought your computer before 2011
Users should upgrade to the new version as soon as possible
Xen project announces a privilege escalation problem for Qemu host systems
Attackers can compromise an Android phone just by sending a text message
PC vendor will pre-install Ubuntu on portables in India.