Network access control on wired networks with IEEE 802.1X
The last step for the administrator is to set the RADIUS server to production mode: enable the init script using service freeradius start, and type chkconfig freeradius on to set up the server to use the same start procedure when rebooted.
The components for device-based authentication of terminal devices exist in many environments. It is up to the administrator to combine those components.
For some people, Network Access Control includes additional aspects, such as technical validation of version status or up-to-date virus signatures, in line with a security policy. NAC offers a number of customization options: Besides LDAP or SQL database integration, more complex environments might want to deploy a PKI with the use of Tiny CA , for example. Smartcards such as the Aladdin E-Token protect private user certificates.
IPv6 is supported with FreeRADIUS Version 2 or later; however, some 802.1X-capable switches might not comply. If you are experimenting with IKEv2, check out the project's experimental.conf.
An identically named SourceForge project is also researching IKEv2 . Thanks to the Hostapd project , administrators can soon look forward to a new implementation of EAP in FreeRADIUS known as EAP2.
- IEEE 802.1x-2004: http://www.ieee802.org/1/pages/802.1x-2004.html
- RFC 5216, "EAP-TLS Authentication Protocol": http://tools.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5216.txt
- Cisco 802.1x Guide: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/31sg/configuration/guide/dot1x.html
- FreeRADIUS Wiki on Cisco IOS commands: http://wiki.freeradius.org/Cisco
- FreeRADIUS Project: http://freeradius.org
- FreeRADIUS at GitHub: http://github.com/Antti/freeradius-server/tree/master
- OpenSEA: http://openseaalliance.org
- Open1X project: http://open1x.sf.net
- WPA supplicant: http://hostap.epitest.fi/wpa_supplicant/
- Tiny CA: http://tinyca.sm-zone.net
- EAP-IKEv2 project on Sourceforge: http://eap-ikev2.sf.net
- EAP modes supported by FreeRADIUS: http://freeradius.org/features/eap.html
New partnership will bring more and better CS training to US schools
Criminals offer online help over Tor network
Sophisticated malware is still present on Joomla and WordPress sites around the world.
Future versions of Ubuntu's code service will support the popular Git version control system used with Linux and other open source projects.
New release marks the arrival of AMD’s unified driver strategy.
A new study by IDC charts big changes in the big hardware market.
Azure CTO says Redmond has already considered the unthinkable.
Lead developer quells rumors that the Debian version is slated for center stage.
MSBuild is now just another GitHub project as Redmond continues its path to the light.
Malware could pass data and commands between disconnected computers without leaving a trace on the network.