On the DVD
On the DVD
The DVD attached to this issue brings you two great new distros: Knoppix 7.2 and Fedora 19.
- Considered by some to be the “Best Live Distro on Earth,” Knoppix is the ultimate sys admin tool – a full-featured system packed with troubleshooting apps that boots and runs from the DVD drive.
- The Red Hat-sponsored Fedora is a free Linux with many of the same tools and packages found in Red Hat's enterprise editions.
Knoppix 7.2.0 – Best Live Distro!
Knoppix is the ultimate sys admin tool – a full-featured system packed with troubleshooting apps that boots and runs from the DVD drive. The latest version comes with kernel version 3.9.6 and Xorg 7.7 (core 1.12.4) to support modern computer hardware. The
knoppix64 boot option runs the 64-bit kernel. Knoppix boots into LXDE by default, but you can reach the KDE 4.8.4 (boot option
knoppix desktop=kde) and Gnome 3.4.2 (
knoppix desktop=gnome) desktops as well . You'll also find experimental support for UEFI Boot after installation to a USB flash drive .
Fedora 19 – Brand New!
The Red Hat-sponsored Fedora is a free Linux with many of the same tools and packages found in Red Hat's enterprise editions. The Fedora Project  continues to improve the Anaconda installer, which now supports installation for advanced storage. Sporting kernel version 3.9.0, Fedora 19 defaults to a Live Gnome 3 desktop . The boot process now tailors itself to your computer hardware, so you should start seeing faster boot times. Also featured in Fedora 19: LibreOffice 4.0, improved support for VoIP and broadband, new firewall features, and consistent naming of network devices .
Defective discs will be replaced. Please send an email to mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Knoppix: http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
- Knoppix release notes: http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix720-en.html
- Knoppix forums: http://knoppix.net/forum/
- Fedora: http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora
- Fedora release notes: http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/19/html/Release_Notes/index.html
- Fedora forums: https://ask.fedoraproject.org/questions/
Buy this article as PDF
Xen project announces a privilege escalation problem for Qemu host systems
Attackers can compromise an Android phone just by sending a text message
PC vendor will pre-install Ubuntu on portables in India.
More embarrassment for Adobe's embattled multimedia tool
Mozilla’s script blocker add-on could be putting malware sites on the whitelist.
The Internet community officially banishes the notoriously unsafe Secure Sockets Layer protocol.
Popular desktop environment continues the Gnome 2 legacy – with new support for the Gnome 3 toolkit.
The Obama White House has issued a memorandum telling all US government agencies they must use HTTPS for all websites and web communication.
New program will dial up security for the Firefox browser.
Red Hat's community distro embraces the cloud.