Writing apps for Firefox OS phones
The second problem is usability. This app is screaming for a zoom function in edit mode. Even when the cells are 2x2 blocks on the canvas, they are tiny. No fat (or even thin) fingers will be able to place a cell accurately on the playing field without a stylus. Again, feel free to make your own changes and improvements.
Although the GoL app is far from perfect, it shows how easy it is create an app for the Firefox OS mobile platform and illustrates some of the ways you can implement the assets Mozilla makes available.
If you already develop web apps using HTML5, you're basically done. If not, HTML, CSS3, and jQuery are well-documented and relatively easy technologies to master, so you should be able to begin creating your apps in no time.
- Firefox OS Simulator add-on: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/firefox-os-simulator/
- Assets you'll need to get started: http://buildingfirefoxos.com/downloads/
- Building blocks: http://buildingfirefoxos.com/building-blocks/
- Mozilla styleguide: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/styleguide/products/firefox-os/icons/
- How to write a good manifest: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Apps/Manifest
- Conway's Game of Life: http://www.conwaylife.com/wiki/Main_Page
- jQuery: http://jquery.com/
- jCanvas: http://calebevans.me/projects/jcanvas/
- Firefox Marketplace: https://marketplace.firefox.com/
- Firefox Marketplace developer hub: https://marketplace.firefox.com/developers
- Code for this article on Gitorious: https://gitorious.org/firefoxos-game-of-life
Buy this article as PDF
Innovative system adds a hard drive and Ubuntu Core to the RPi for an IoT hub.
Linux is two weeks younger than we thought!
The Apache Software Foundation considers retiring OpenOffice
Adobe won’t kill the plugin in 2017
Linux Foundation's big event celebrates the 25th anniversary of Linux
Linux has evolved from “won’t be a professional” project to one of the most professional software projects in the history of computers.
Competitors get in the game with RHEL without Red Hat
Security researchers have already notified Microsoft; some fixes are available
The company is collaborating with Google and Intel to use Kubernetes as an engine for Fuel