Writing apps for Firefox OS phones
The second problem is usability. This app is screaming for a zoom function in edit mode. Even when the cells are 2x2 blocks on the canvas, they are tiny. No fat (or even thin) fingers will be able to place a cell accurately on the playing field without a stylus. Again, feel free to make your own changes and improvements.
Although the GoL app is far from perfect, it shows how easy it is create an app for the Firefox OS mobile platform and illustrates some of the ways you can implement the assets Mozilla makes available.
If you already develop web apps using HTML5, you're basically done. If not, HTML, CSS3, and jQuery are well-documented and relatively easy technologies to master, so you should be able to begin creating your apps in no time.
- Firefox OS Simulator add-on: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/firefox-os-simulator/
- Assets you'll need to get started: http://buildingfirefoxos.com/downloads/
- Building blocks: http://buildingfirefoxos.com/building-blocks/
- Mozilla styleguide: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/styleguide/products/firefox-os/icons/
- How to write a good manifest: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Apps/Manifest
- Conway's Game of Life: http://www.conwaylife.com/wiki/Main_Page
- jQuery: http://jquery.com/
- jCanvas: http://calebevans.me/projects/jcanvas/
- Firefox Marketplace: https://marketplace.firefox.com/
- Firefox Marketplace developer hub: https://marketplace.firefox.com/developers
- Code for this article on Gitorious: https://gitorious.org/firefoxos-game-of-life
Buy this article as PDF
New release marks the arrival of AMD’s unified driver strategy.
A new study by IDC charts big changes in the big hardware market.
Azure CTO says Redmond has already considered the unthinkable.
Lead developer quells rumors that the Debian version is slated for center stage.
MSBuild is now just another GitHub project as Redmond continues its path to the light.
Malware could pass data and commands between disconnected computers without leaving a trace on the network.
New rules emphasize collegiality in coding.
Upstart lands in the dust bin as a new era begins for Linux.
HP's annual Cyber Risk report offers a bleak look at the state of IT.
But what do the big numbers really mean?