On the DVD
On the DVD
This month's DVD features two terrific distributions, ArtistX 1.5 and Arch Linux 2013.10.01.
Arch Linux is a "lightweight and flexible Linux distribution that tries to Keep it Simple" . The developers designed Arch on five core principles : simplicity, code correctness and elegance, user-centric control and responsibility, openness, and freedom. Arch installs with a minimal base system, upon which users build their environments by installing only the tools and programs they need. The minimalist nature of Arch, emphasis on user control, and preference for the command line appeals to more advanced users, but a comprehensive wiki  and beginner's guide  smooth the way for anyone who would like to try this elegant, community-driven distro.
- Release 2013.10.01
- Kernel 3.11.2
- systemd init
- Pacman package manager
- Rolling release
ArtistX is a Live distro based on Ubuntu 13.0.4 (without Unity) that "turns a computer into a full multimedia production studio" . With around 2,500 multimedia software packages  and 5,000 binaries, ArtistX is a multimedia studio on a disc for amateur or professional digital and audio artists. After sampling the distro on the Live DVD, you can install it to disk or USB stick .
- Version 1.5 based on kernel 3.8
- Gnome 3.6
- 3D engine and development software
- 3D modeling and animation software
- Audio DJ, synth, and editing packages
- CAD, DVD mastering, and TV software
Defective discs will be replaced. Please send email to mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Arch Linux: https://www.archlinux.org/
- The Arch Way: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/The_Arch_Way
- Arch wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/
- Arch Beginners' Guide: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide
- ArtistX: http://artistx.org/blog/
- ArtistX software: http://artistx.org/blog/software/
- ArtistX installation: http://artistx.org/blog/install-artistx-to-your-hard-disk/
Buy this article as PDF
Both projects help organizations build their own containerized systems.
Mark Shuttleworth has resumed the position of CEO of Canonical.
Microsoft's open source code hosting platform CodePlex will come to an end after a more than 10-year stint.
Comes with Gnome 3.24
The bug was introduced back in 2009 and has been lurking around all this time.
The new release deprecates the sshd_config UsePrivilegeSeparation option.
Lives on as a community project
Five new systems join Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition that come with Ubuntu pre-installed.
The Skype Linux client now has almost the same capabilities that it enjoys on other platforms.
At CeBIT 2017, OpenStack Day will offer a wide range of lectures and discussions.