On the DVD
On the DVD
Light Distro Sampler This month we give you a multilingual, multidistro DVD with six light Live Linux distributions. Try one, or try them all.
Defective discs will be replaced. Please send an email to: mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org.
Light Distro Sampler
This month we give you a multilingual, multidistro DVD with six light Live Linux distributions. Try one, or try them all.
- 4MLinux – The four "M"s in 4MLinux  stand for maintenance (system rescue), multimedia (videos, DVDs), miniserver (inetd daemon), and mystery (games). 4MLinux does not start with a default password , so when you are prompted on bootup, make one up. If you get any warnings don't worry – you can stick with your chosen password, just retype it at the next prompt. At the 4MLinux login prompt, enter root then your new password at the next prompt. You're in!
- MultiSystem – The MultiSystem Linux distro  is based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise). Create your own Live multiboot USB stick  by dragging ISO files to the MultiSystem window that opens on bootup.
- SystemRescueCd – SystemRescueCd  is the well-known rescue distro that lets you administer or repair your system and data after a crash. This useful distro starts up with a boot menu offering various startup scenarios.
- Clonezilla – Clonezilla Live  helps you "image or clone individual computers using a CD/DVD or USB flash drive."
- CorePlus – The Core version on this disc is actually TinyCore , the GUI version of the bare-bones Core Linux that allows you to design a custom Linux distro of your own.
- Slax – Slax  uses a modular approach to creating custom Linux distros. Our version boots up in German(!). To change to English, first click on the German flag in the bottom panel to switch to a US keyboard layout. Next, click on the KDE logo at the lower left and choose Anwendungen | System | System Einstellungen. Now double-click Regionales. In the Land tab, change Deutschland to USA. In the Sprachen tab, move Deutsch to the left window and English to the right. Finally, click Anwenden.
- Puppy Linux – Puppy Linux  is a fun, friendly, and fast Linux distro fit for newbies.
- 4MLinux: http://4mlinux.com/news.html
- 4MLinux login: http://4mlinux.blogspot.de/2013/01/4mlinux-login.html
- Multisystem: http://liveusb.info/dotclear/
- Multisystem instructions: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/multiboot-create-a-multiboot-usb-from-linux/
- SystemRescueCd: http://www.sysresccd.org/
- Clonezilla: http://clonezilla.org
- TinyCore: http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/downloads.html
- Puppy Linux: http://puppylinux.org/
Buy this article as PDF
Mozilla’s script blocker add-on could be putting malware sites on the whitelist.
The Internet community officially banishes the notoriously unsafe Secure Sockets Layer protocol.
Popular desktop environment continues the Gnome 2 legacy – with new support for the Gnome 3 toolkit.
The Obama White House has issued a memorandum telling all US government agencies they must use HTTPS for all websites and web communication.
New program will dial up security for the Firefox browser.
Red Hat's community distro embraces the cloud.
New partnership will bring more and better CS training to US schools
Criminals offer online help over Tor network
Sophisticated malware is still present on Joomla and WordPress sites around the world.
Future versions of Ubuntu's code service will support the popular Git version control system used with Linux and other open source projects.