Puppet Labs Announces Puppet Enterprise
Puppet Labs, provider of open source systems management solutions, announced the release of Puppet Enterprise, the first commercially supported version of Puppet.
"Match.com, Red Hat, Twitter, Zynga and 50,000 others businesses are already relying on Puppet to manage more than a million machines and automate the provisioning, patching and configuration of operating system and application components across enterprise and cloud infrastructures", said Puppet Labs in the press release earlier this week.
The Puppet Enterprise Website lists the key benefits to using the enterprise versions as:
- Simplified integration and installation—Get up to speed immediately with a pre-built integration of Puppet, Puppet Master, Dashboard, Facter and all Puppet dependencies such as Ruby, Passenger, and Apache.
- Tuned for Scalability—Pre-configured to offer out-of-the-box scalability and the performance levels required in large installations.
- Tested and Approved—Packages are tested by Puppet Labs engineers using our robust quality assurance process.
- Built-in support—Enterprise-class support with issue resolution, feature enhancement priority requests, and best practices advice.
- Always current—Maintenance is included in your license. You always have access to the latest and greatest releases of the integrated platform.
Puppet Enterprise includes the following: Puppet Master, Puppet Agent, Puppet Dashboard, Puppet Module Tool, Facter. It also includes third-party systems modules such as Ruby, Apache, Phusion, Passenger with third-party libraries such as Ruby on Rails, RubyGems, Rack, Rake, Haml, RSpec, and jQuery.
Supported Operating systems include: RHEL 5.5, CentOS 5.5, Ubuntu LTS 10.04, Debian Lenny 5.0.7, Oracle Enterprise Linux 5 Update 5.
The bug was introduced back in 2009 and has been lurking around all this time.
The new release deprecates the sshd_config UsePrivilegeSeparation option.
Lives on as a community project
Five new systems join Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition that come with Ubuntu pre-installed.
The Skype Linux client now has almost the same capabilities that it enjoys on other platforms.
At CeBIT 2017, OpenStack Day will offer a wide range of lectures and discussions.
A major setback for the Linux desktop.
Improved support for GPU in virtualization.
News site for the openSUSE community falls victim to a Wordpress exploit.
The source code is available online.