Exploring alternatives to MythTV
Despite the omnipresence and professional stance of the two major league media center projects, MythTV and VDR, practical and attractive alternatives are available (see Table 1). Elisa convinces with both its look and technology, and its easy configuration is unbeaten in the field. The lack of TV support and its showy visuals, which seem to be modeled on Apple products, might tip the user's decision in favor of a competitor in some cases.
Freevo is almost too feature rich, and the plethora of options means a steep learning curve for users. After negotiating it, the system rewards you with an array of online video sources, remote control options, a sophisticated client-server design, and add-ins.
GeeXboX is simpler and easy to configure. The approach of using a customized Live CD gives a second lease on life to older hardware and lends itself to new applications, such as embedded players or self-starting video media.
- Wikipedia on MPEG4: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264#Patent_licensing
- Medibuntu project: http://www.medibuntu.org
- Codecs for openSUSE: http://opensuse-community.org/Multimedia
- Fluendo codec shop : https://shop.fluendo.com
- Elisa wiki for Ubuntu: http://elisa.fluendo.com/wiki/Distribution/LinuxPackages/Ubuntu
- Elisa for openSUSE: http://www.susegeek.com/media-player/elisa-open-media-center-multimedia-player-for-opensuse-linux/
- Elisa Portal: http://elisa.fluendo.com
- Freevo: http://freevo.sourceforge.net
- Discussion on EPG in Freevo: http://www.mail-archive.com/<U>email@example.com<U>/msg16287.html
- Freevo documentation: http://doc.freevo.org/Plugins
- Freevo Live CD: http://freevolive.tuxfamily.org
- GParted Live: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
- GeeXboX project: http://geexbox.org
- Channel list: http://www.linuxtv.org/vdrwiki/index.php/Syntax_of_channels.conf
- w_scan: http://edafe.org/vdr/w_scan/
- DVB-S transponders: http://linuxtv.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/dvb-apps/util/scan/dvb-s/
Buy this article as PDF
A new study says it is possible to unmask 81% of TOR users.
Redmond joins the revolution by turning the .NET Core Runtime into a GitHub project.
Users only had 7 hours to update before the intrusions started.
It's official: The new web arrives
Kernel king admits his tone has alienated volunteers, but says the demands of the process require directness.
New flaw in an old encryption scheme leaves the experts scrambling to disable SSL 3
Lennart Poettering wants to change the way Linux developers talk to each other.
Enterprise giant frees itself from ink and home PCs (and visa versa).
Mozilla’s product think tank sinks silently into history.
TODO group will focus on open source tools in large-scale environments.