Issue #13: Powerhouse Perl 2nd Ed. / Apr 2013
Cover Theme: Powerhouse Perl
DVD: Fedora 18
Download this issue as a PDF:
Power up your Perl Productivity! New to Perl? Check out our comprehensive introduction by Perl expert Randal L. Schwartz. Perlmeister Mike Schilli explains how to optimize and debug your Perl scripts, then he'll help you advance your Perl know-how with 11 cool Perl projects:
- Math Tricks: Solve math problems with Perl
- Daily Tip: Perl with an SQLite database
- AJAX: Add dynamic updates to web pages
- isp-switch: Switch your computer to another ISP if your connection goes down
- MAC Addresses: Monitor your network for unfamiliar MAC addresses
- Multimeter: Read and interpret data from an external device
- Google Chart: Create custom graphs
- Twitter: Help your scripts send Tweets
- Webcam: Control a web camera with Perl
- Perl Gardening: Water your house plants with a little help from Perl
- GPS: Extract data from a GPS device and plot it on a Yahoo! map
Klaus Knopper announces the latest version of his iconic Live Linux system.
All websites that use these popular CMS tools could be vulnerable to denial of service attacks if users don't install the updates.
According to a report, many potential victims of the Heartbleed attack have patched their systems, but few have cleaned up the crime scene to protect themselves from the effects of a previous intrusion.
DARPA and NICTA release the code for the ultra-secure microkernel system used in aerial drones.
Should you trust an online service to store your online passwords?
New B+ board lets you build cool things without the complication of a powered USB hub.
Redmond rushes in to root out alleged malware haven.
New initiative will bring futuristic virtual reality effects to the web surfing experience.
Dyreza malware launches a man-in-the-middle attack that compromises SSL.
New cloud combines worldwide access with local attention to data security.