Issue #13: Powerhouse Perl 2nd Ed. / Apr 2013
Cover Theme: Powerhouse Perl
DVD: Fedora 18
Download this issue as a PDF:
Power up your Perl Productivity! New to Perl? Check out our comprehensive introduction by Perl expert Randal L. Schwartz. Perlmeister Mike Schilli explains how to optimize and debug your Perl scripts, then he'll help you advance your Perl know-how with 11 cool Perl projects:
- Math Tricks: Solve math problems with Perl
- Daily Tip: Perl with an SQLite database
- AJAX: Add dynamic updates to web pages
- isp-switch: Switch your computer to another ISP if your connection goes down
- MAC Addresses: Monitor your network for unfamiliar MAC addresses
- Multimeter: Read and interpret data from an external device
- Google Chart: Create custom graphs
- Twitter: Help your scripts send Tweets
- Webcam: Control a web camera with Perl
- Perl Gardening: Water your house plants with a little help from Perl
- GPS: Extract data from a GPS device and plot it on a Yahoo! map
New release comes with better semantic search and improvements to Kontact.
Annual code quality report shows FOSS is more secure at all project size levels.
A new class of problems lets a malicious app pre-configure an invisible privilege update.
New Hack language adds static typing and other conveniences.
New crypto policy system will offer easier configuration and more uniform security.
Ubuntu founder denounces insecurity in proprietary, close-source software blobs.
Vulnerability affects many Linux web servers