Issue #13: Powerhouse Perl 2nd Ed. / Apr 2013
Cover Theme: Powerhouse Perl
DVD: Fedora 18
Download this issue as a PDF:
Power up your Perl Productivity! New to Perl? Check out our comprehensive introduction by Perl expert Randal L. Schwartz. Perlmeister Mike Schilli explains how to optimize and debug your Perl scripts, then he'll help you advance your Perl know-how with 11 cool Perl projects:
- Math Tricks: Solve math problems with Perl
- Daily Tip: Perl with an SQLite database
- AJAX: Add dynamic updates to web pages
- isp-switch: Switch your computer to another ISP if your connection goes down
- MAC Addresses: Monitor your network for unfamiliar MAC addresses
- Multimeter: Read and interpret data from an external device
- Google Chart: Create custom graphs
- Twitter: Help your scripts send Tweets
- Webcam: Control a web camera with Perl
- Perl Gardening: Water your house plants with a little help from Perl
- GPS: Extract data from a GPS device and plot it on a Yahoo! map
Spammers go low-volume, and 90% of IE browsers are unpatched.
Adobe scrambles to release patches for vulnerable Flash Player.
Four-inch-long computer on a stick lets you boot a full Linux system from any HDMI display device.
New statute would require companies to report break-ins to consumers.
Weird data transfer technique avoids all standard security measures.
FIDO alliance declares the beginning of the end for old-style login authentication.
The Linux New Media Awards have honored the most significant products, projects, people, and organizations for open source/Linux every year since 2000.
Legendary Uber-distro splits over the systemd controversy.
New LTS version offers many refinements for the Cinnamon and Mate desktops and significant improvement under the hood.
One of CeBIT’s most successful forums returns in 2015.