Issue #13: Powerhouse Perl 2nd Ed. / Apr 2013
Cover Theme: Powerhouse Perl
DVD: Fedora 18
Download this issue as a PDF:
Power up your Perl Productivity! New to Perl? Check out our comprehensive introduction by Perl expert Randal L. Schwartz. Perlmeister Mike Schilli explains how to optimize and debug your Perl scripts, then he'll help you advance your Perl know-how with 11 cool Perl projects:
- Math Tricks: Solve math problems with Perl
- Daily Tip: Perl with an SQLite database
- AJAX: Add dynamic updates to web pages
- isp-switch: Switch your computer to another ISP if your connection goes down
- MAC Addresses: Monitor your network for unfamiliar MAC addresses
- Multimeter: Read and interpret data from an external device
- Google Chart: Create custom graphs
- Twitter: Help your scripts send Tweets
- Webcam: Control a web camera with Perl
- Perl Gardening: Water your house plants with a little help from Perl
- GPS: Extract data from a GPS device and plot it on a Yahoo! map
New flaw in an old encryption scheme leaves the experts scrambling to disable SSL 3
Lennart Poettering wants to change the way Linux developers talk to each other.
Enterprise giant frees itself from ink and home PCs (and visa versa).
Mozilla’s product think tank sinks silently into history.
TODO group will focus on open source tools in large-scale environments.
New tool will look like GParted but support a wider range of storage technologies.
New public key pinning feature will help prevent man-in-the-middle attacks.
Carnegie Mellon researchers say 3 million pages could fall down the phishing hole in the next year.
The US government rolls new best-practice rules for protecting SSH.