Exploring alternatives to MythTV
Despite the omnipresence and professional stance of the two major league media center projects, MythTV and VDR, practical and attractive alternatives are available (see Table 1). Elisa convinces with both its look and technology, and its easy configuration is unbeaten in the field. The lack of TV support and its showy visuals, which seem to be modeled on Apple products, might tip the user's decision in favor of a competitor in some cases.
Freevo is almost too feature rich, and the plethora of options means a steep learning curve for users. After negotiating it, the system rewards you with an array of online video sources, remote control options, a sophisticated client-server design, and add-ins.
GeeXboX is simpler and easy to configure. The approach of using a customized Live CD gives a second lease on life to older hardware and lends itself to new applications, such as embedded players or self-starting video media.
- Wikipedia on MPEG4: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264#Patent_licensing
- Medibuntu project: http://www.medibuntu.org
- Codecs for openSUSE: http://opensuse-community.org/Multimedia
- Fluendo codec shop : https://shop.fluendo.com
- Elisa wiki for Ubuntu: http://elisa.fluendo.com/wiki/Distribution/LinuxPackages/Ubuntu
- Elisa for openSUSE: http://www.susegeek.com/media-player/elisa-open-media-center-multimedia-player-for-opensuse-linux/
- Elisa Portal: http://elisa.fluendo.com
- Freevo: http://freevo.sourceforge.net
- Discussion on EPG in Freevo: http://www.mail-archive.com/<U>firstname.lastname@example.org<U>/msg16287.html
- Freevo documentation: http://doc.freevo.org/Plugins
- Freevo Live CD: http://freevolive.tuxfamily.org
- GParted Live: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
- GeeXboX project: http://geexbox.org
- Channel list: http://www.linuxtv.org/vdrwiki/index.php/Syntax_of_channels.conf
- w_scan: http://edafe.org/vdr/w_scan/
- DVB-S transponders: http://linuxtv.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/dvb-apps/util/scan/dvb-s/
Buy this article as PDF
The whole distro gets rebuilt on glibc 2.3
Ubuntu Vendor tries to solve app packaging and distribution problem across distributions.
Founder of ownCloud launches the Nextcloud project.
Will The Machine change the way future programmers think about memory?
The new Torus distributed storage system is available under an open source license on GitHub
Juries decides Google’s use of Java APIs Was Fair Use
But if you are not using the latest Linux kernel, your system is insecure.
Home routers will give room for custom firmware but still comply with FCC rules
Frank Karlitschek will continue to lead the open source ownCloud project
“Xenial Xerus” comes with a new packages format and several improvements for the enterprise.